Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

BS Architecture

It's been over a month since I graduated college. To be honest, I've had doubts about my course, from the beginning of college up to the end of my college life.

... but that wasn't the case back in my earlier years.

When I was a kid, I enjoyed drawing houses and planning out the layout of our dream house. I would spend days trying to create a well-designed house in The Sims. I was hooked on Architecture-related TV shows, such as "Mega Structures", "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition", and other shows on HGTV.

By the end of grade school, I was so set on taking up Architecture for college; but, by the end of high school, I have put my interest in Architecture aside to hopefully pursue a newfound interest - Film. I actually chose BA Film as my first choice while applying for the university. It's a long story how I got BS Architecture as my course; it wasn't even my second choice. I remember being disheartened when I found out that I got BS Architecture as my course in college. I remember telling people that I would shift out to  Film after a year.

Lo and behold, 5 years later, I graduated college with a degree in BS Architecture. How did that happen? Well, during my first year in Archi, we already had a couple of major classes. After a year in that course, I decided to not shift out anymore because I didn't want those majors to go to waste and because I found myself enjoying the course, thanks to my blockmates and orgmates. I learned to love and be proud of my course and my future profession, but during those 5 years in college, I would often have doubts, especially when I'd see how amazing my friends' designs were and how crappy mine was. The icing on the cake was during my thesis... I don't want to elaborate on that, as I don't want to be reminded of discouraging and disappointing times. But, that thesis made me so depressed about Archi that I told my mom that I don't think I'm going to pursue a career in Architecture.

However, after talking to some working friends and hearing stories about their jobs, I can't seem to imagine myself in a corporate setting doing anything else unrelated to the field of Architecture. I was reminded of my journey to BS Architecture, how fate seemed to put me in this course and in this batch, and how everything seemed to fit into place; I realized that this is where I'm meant to be. I've decided that I am going to pursue this career. Just wait and see, world (or the Philippines), Architect Regina Rocha will be coming for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment